Saturday, October 31, 2009

Butterflies and Pumpkins and Kitties, Oh My!

It's been a beautiful day, and I spent the greater part of it working in the wild garden.  I was on a mission to eradicate a plant called Dicliptera.




I bought it at a reputable nursery, and I knew it was native and shade tolerant, but I didn't know it could be so invasive.  The soil moisture was really good after all the rains, so the weeding went well, but there was a LOT of it!  This is a 10 x 10 foot tarp piled high with Dicliptera.  Chiquita is taking it easy.




I also took some pictures of a dainty little wild four o'clock that's native here.  The blooms are only about 1/2 inch across, but the color is very bright and pretty in the fall.  I've tried transplanting them but haven't had much success.  They apparently love where they grow in the wild garden, with good drainage and good afternoon sun.




The bees and butterflies were just buzzing and fluttering all over the fragrant white mistflower.




Tried my best to get good photos of them, but they don't like having a photographer so close by!  You can see the pollen sacs on the busy bee.




The monarch wouldn't pose with its wings spread out.  It was just too intent on getting its nectar.  The monarchs are migrating to Mexico, and most of them have already passed through.  The mistflower is so smart that it times its bloom for the migration.   :-))




Last but not least, Happy Halloween, everyone!  These are pumpkins from past Halloweens, and I had to look through old photos and scan them.  Digital cameras rock!








No comments:

Post a Comment